ON TREND! LONG VEST… A quick make

Ooooh I’m so excited! We all know what TNTs are, but what about those times when you can use a pattern and make something completely different without having actually made up the originally intended garment.  This is one of those times for me.

I already have a Trenchcoat although it’s a casual rendition in leopard print twill.  This make is a long vest with a faux fur collar.  image

I used Barbara’s Trench which is a rendition based on the traditional Burberry Trenchcoat.  The story behind this is that it was an idea offered up by Peggy on a recent webcast.  I decided to splurge on the fabric she used in her version.  It was $29.99 per yard! Yikes…for a cotton knit.  The description is that it is dual sided…which it is, and it is black and dark gray….which it WASN’T!  When it arrived it was a sunny afternoon and I swore it looked blue, but I thought it was how the sun hit it.  I took it right to the wash so I could get my vest ASAP.  When it finished in the dryer, it still looked blue.  The flash of my camera brightens the blue tone but it really is a deep dark muted navy, if that makes sense.  I was entirely bummed, because I also bought a black, gray and white fur to use for the collar at the same time.  That was not going to happen….just look at the difference!  Not good.

image

I emailed Peggy right away and she was receptive…I could have returned it, but since I’d laundered it already…I thought hey why not use it. She has since corrected the listing :).   It’s wonderful rich feeling fabric with a perfect weight and drape for this make.  I searched for faux furs and took basically blind faith on the description alone….and what I settled on ended up a perfect compliment to my deep navy blue.  It is a really soft bluish gray polyester fur that washes beautifully as well!

As for the pattern changes, I cut the front a seam allowance away from the center front line, removing the double breasted-ness. All edges were serge finished, turned under and top stitched. I cut only the upper collar and attached the stand traditionally and sandwiched that unit over the neck edge and edge-stitched in place.  No closure needed. And voila!

image

As a bonus, now I know that the size I used will be good when I make the full version in a lovely rich wool cashmere flannel I just got from fabric.com for $14.99/yard.  I should be hauled away to jail for that steal!  I know….cheesy, but hey I couldn’t resist….lol.

I’ve linked up at http://www.grayallday.com/sew-it-chic-monthly-november/. This is a fun way to connect with other sewists who are sharing their most current makes.

Advertisements